Thursday, July 19, 2012

Celebrity Rock: Deeply (1977)

During his run on Happy Days (1974-84), Anson Williams decided to give it a whirl as a pop singer. As Warren "Potsie" Weber, Williams had covered a number of classic oldies on the show, and so an opportunity was created for him to perform an original number, composed by the series' musical directors, Norman Gimbel & Charles Fox.

I cannot say for sure when "Deeply" was released as a single, but it's clearly aimed at the adult contemporary audience as well as the Top 40. The setting is a graduation ball for Jefferson High, so I'd guess this would be around 1978-9. Funny thing. As much as I'd seen reruns of the series, this is actually the first time I've heard this song.



Edit: 7/19/15: I've since learned this aired originally in February 1977, and "Deeply" was released as a single at the end of the season.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I always liked Potsie! In fact I felt bad for his character whenever he'd talk about how his father would be cruel to him! Of course Potsie was never the wiser, always thinking it was his father's way of bonding with him!

I also remember Happy Days trying to pawn a lot of musical hopefuls during the show's run, including Suzi Quattro (Leather Tuscadero) who found better success in England.


I remember Anson Williams hosting a TV special with his wife which also involved singing/performing. He never took off as a singer, but he did well in directing. I recognized his name in a lot of TV shows since the 90s if not earlier. I also remember his directorial debut - a TV movie called, "Skyward", about a parapalegic girl who learns to be a pilot. Considered quite groundbreaking back in the day.

hobbyfan said...

Anson's done quite a bit of directing since Happy Days. Suzi Quatro had a minor hit with "Stumblin' In" around 1977, but was never heard from again. The series was mostly an outlet to celebrate the innocence of the 50's and early 60's.

And, of course, Scott Baio & Erin Moran (Chachi & Joanie) tried to take the same tack as singers, but that, and their spinoff show, bombed.