Monday, October 9, 2017

Forgotten TV: The Archie Situation Comedy Variety Hour (1978)

Until the other day, I didn't even know about this Archie pilot.

Now, I've known that producer James Komack had produced a sitcom pilot featuring the beloved gang from Riverdale in 1976 for ABC that didn't sell. After Filmation's final Archie series had left the air in April 1978 on NBC, Komack and ABC gave it another try, this time with a hybrid show that was equal parts sitcom and variety show.

The Archie Situation Comedy Variety Hour managed to air in the summer of 1978, but I never saw it. The following video is one of two clips available on YouTube, neither of which is in really good condition after nearly 40 years. Dennis Bowen (Welcome Back, Kotter) is among the stars, along with Gordon Jump (WKRP in Cincinnati) as Fred Andrews.



I think I can see why this bombed. No rating.

No comments: