Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Maybe George Orwell was right all along......

I'm sure you've heard by now how news anchors at Sinclair Broadcasting-owned stations across the country have to read a script denouncing "fake news". Let me give you an example, courtesy of WTVH in Syracuse:



Like, seriously?

WRGB's Liz Bishop, who has been with the station seemingly forever (more than 40 years, actually) had to read that same script the other night, and it had to be embarrassing for a veteran reporter like her. Sinclair supports President Trump's stance on "fake news", which means denouncing credible cable outlets such as CNN, while praising Trump's friends at Fox News Channel.

No less a news legend than Dan Rather invoked author George Orwell in slamming Sinclair Broadcasting's mandate that this script had to be read on every one of their stations. You know the critics are having a field day, condemning the company's decision. I can't wait to read about how late night yakkers like Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert address this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stephen Colbert is off this week, so you've got a week's wait there ...
Last night, Jimmy Fallon gave it a semi-pass, but Seth Meyers more than made up for it ...
I missed Jimmy Kimmel last night, so I'll have to check back ...

I don't know how you feel about Bill Maher, but I dare say he'll go to the races on Friday night ...
And as for SNL - all stops out ...

Donald Trump's problems are 100% self-inflicted.
More than that need not be said.

hobbyfan said...

I'll have to check Meyers' video out later. I don't have HBO, so I don't watch Real Time w/Bill Maher. I may just give SNL a look.

Trump is trying to be someone he's really not, but doesn't have the proper tools to be president. At least we can think he read "1984". Thanks, Mike.