Saturday, November 22, 2014

Advertising for Dummies: Would you buy a car from an action figure? (2014)

The folks at Honda should've asked Michael Bolton for an encore.

Instead of bringing back the crooner for a 2nd season of "Happy Honda Days" ads, the automaker's ad agency decided to take a page from [adult swim] and use action figures to sell the cars this holiday season. Among the spokestoys are Stretch Armstrong, Strawberry Shortcake, the original GI Joe, who joins 80's cartoon songstress Jem, and Fisher-Price's Little People. Factor in Art Clokey's legendary claymation hero, Gumby, accompanied, of course, by Pokey, and this 80's villain.........



I guess they couldn't find the old villains home and contact Boris Badenov. Skeletor as a car salesman? What's next?

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I don't know, I think the ads are a bit funny. They are appealing to the demographic that received these toys as Xmas gifts (early to mid 80s) and can afford to buy cars now.

Dare I say I recently bought myself a Honda Civic recently? Although the current campaign had nothing to do with it!

hobbyfan said...

I don't drive, so I won't comment. I wonder what the ad agency was thinking (or would that be drinking).....