Monday, November 3, 2014

Musical Interlude: It's Mighty Dark to Travel (1968)

I've documented before that I was raised on country music. I wasn't really that big on bluegrass, though, but, then, as I was growing up, the local country radio stations were only playing bluegrass in short blocks on the weekends, which I think they still do.

David Akeman, or, to use his stage name, Stringbean, had been a regular on Hee Haw during the CBS years (1969-71), and maybe a wee bit into its syndicated run before he was killed. What most of you probably don't know was that Stringbean was quite proficient as a country singer, particularly in bluegrass as a banjo player. I think it was after Stringbean passed on that the producers gave another bluegrass veteran, Grandpa Jones, more time with his banjo. Digressing. Anyway, here's Stringbean, a year before Hee Haw, mind you, appearing on the Wilburn Brothers Show to cover Bill Monroe's 1944 opus, "It's Mighty Dark to Travel":

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I had to read about Akeman to get some appreciation for your post.

Akeman and his wife were murdered by a pair of cousins who had heard they had a huge monetary stash hidden in the house. They broke in and laid in wait for them to return home. In the end, they found no money but stole some personal items and guns.

What was more horrible was that Akeman's body was found by friend, Grandpa Jones!

I've since found out one of Akeman's killers is now a free man! John A. Brown was granted parole just last month and walked out of the prison yesterday! His cousin, Doug Brown died in prison back in 2003.

More than 2 decades after the murders - about 20K was discovered in the house - hidden behind a brick in the fireplace. I do wonder if the Akemans had any family left to leave that to?

hobbyfan said...

I do, too. Maybe they did.