Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Musical Interlude: Honey Come Back (1970)

In the 60's & 70's, Glen Campbell was a regular on both the pop & country charts, and veered permanently toward country in the 80's. He even hosted a golf tournament on the PGA Tour back in the day, as other celebrities did.

The Australian series, Hit Scene, is where we find this next nugget of joy, 1970's "Honey Come Back", a story-song about heartbreak and the yearning for reconciliation. Glen is shown writing a letter as the song plays. The woman appearing in the video is his then-wife, Billie.




I actually had a used 45 of "Honey", which I'd acquired when I'd settled into my current home. I was spending a lot of time at second hand shops buying old records for the turntable I owned back then.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I always liked Campbell as a singer and always keep a few songs of his handy on my iPod.

Sadly, I've heard he has entered an Alzheimer's care facility recently. It seems the end is near for the Witchita County Lineman.

hobbyfan said...

Read the same thing about a week or two ago. So sad. Inevitably, the supermarket tabloids will do the "Sad last days" cover headline on him.

There'll be a few more classic cuts down the line.