Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sounds of Praise: You Raise Me Up (2003-4)

"You Raise Me Up" was originally recorded by Secret Garden a few years ago, but has been covered by artists as diverse as Daniel O'Connell, Westlife, and Josh Groban, who took it to #1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't crack the Top 40 on the pop chart, peaking at #73.

"Raise" has been used as a modern-day hymnal at churches. Where I attend church, the entire song does not get played, just the first verse and the chorus, probably for time reasons. I first discovered the song on the radio well after it'd peaked on the charts, right around the time Groban recorded "Believe" for the movie, "The Polar Express".

Here's "You Raise Me Up", courtesy of Warner Bros. Records' YouTube channel.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I found it to be a beautiful song and Groban did a great rendition of it.

I didn't realize the Secret Garden connection though! Luckily I liked their music too!

hobbyfan said...

I wasn't even aware that Groban did a cover, to tell you the truth, until I did some research.