Thursday, December 18, 2014

Countdown to Christmas: Christmas with Liberace (1954)

Liberace was granted his own television show not once, but twice.

The first series bowed in 1954 and enjoyed a healthy run of a couple of years. However, when he returned in a syndicated offering in 1969, it lasted just 1 season. Why that was, I don't really know, because I've never seen that version.

Liberace was close to his family, though. Brother George was his musical director, and his mom was reportedly a producer. Following is a compilation of clips from a Christmas episode from 1954. Liberace solos on "O Little Town of Bethlehem" & "O Holy Night" (instrumental only), and then, at the end of the show, the family gathers for a round of "Jingle Bells" (George is dressed as Santa Claus).



To think that this well respected musician and entertainer was working the other side of the street, if you catch my drift, was quite the surprise years later.

Rating: A-.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

Despite his lifestyle, he was still a great entertainer.

However, everyone I knew (even my parents) knew what team he played for. Didn't matter, it was the music and showmanship that counted.

However, if you see that biopic with Michael Douglas as Liberace, be prepared to be disturbed by his behind the scenes life.

hobbyfan said...

I don't have HBO, so I didn't see Behind the Candelabra. Meh.