Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Countdown to Christmas: Do You Hear What I Hear (1963)

I first heard the song, "Do You Hear What I Hear" on one of those compilation LPs that WT Grant's used to release during the Christmas shopping season. In fact, I had two of those LPs as a youth. One version was recorded by John Gary. The other? How about the incomparable, inestimable Der Bingle himself, Bing Crosby.

Appearing on his buddy Bob Hope's show two days following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Crosby performed "Hear", with pre-recorded background vocals and instrumentals. "Hear" has been covered many times over since, most notably by the late Whitney Houston on "A Very Special Christmas" nearly 25 years after this performance.......

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I first heard this song during a Christmas countdown with Cousin Brucie.

I always liked it - despite being rather dramatic. I enjoy the tune in almost any version. I'll take Bing's version over Whitney's though.

hobbyfan said...

Ditto that.