Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Advertising For Dummies: Hawaiian Rice Krispies? (Puffa Puffa Rice, 1967)

Kellogg's thought that uniting the elements of Rice Krispies with Puffed Rice, the latter a rival brand, into a variant on the former would be a hit.

Puffa Puffa Rice, however, didn't even make it to 10 years on the shelves, retired in 1975.

Puffa Puffa Rice debuted in 1967, with an ad shot in Hawaii. Actor William Christopher, at the time a recurring player on Gomer Pyle, USMC, and 5 years away from his iconic role as Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H, narrates.



Anita Aloha was a featured hula dancer in the ad. I remember seeing the product on store shelves up until around the time it was discontinued. It's a pity. Kellogg's now has just regular Rice Krispies, Cocoa Krispies, and some later variants, but had Puffa Puffa Rice been bigger on the mainland.....!

6 comments:

mike##94 said...

I remember the ad for Puffa Puffa Rice. I think I was about seven years old when it first went on the air. But later on, there was another commercial for the same cereal in which there were two hula dancers, an adult and a little girl. I actually had a big crush on that girl because she was so pretty. Even today I still can't get her out of my mind!I have been trying to find that other ad on the internet, but I've had no luck. Does anyone out there know where I can find it?

hobbyfan said...

I wish I knew. If I can find that ad, and post it, think that'll stir your memories?

mike##94 said...

Yes, it would stir some memories! If you could find it, I would really appreciate it.

mike##94 said...

Sorry I didn't reply back in January, when you posted your comment, but I knew nothing about it, until I happened to visit this website again.

hobbyfan said...

Haven't been able to find the other spot.

mike##94 said...

I've been trying to find an old TV ad for Puffa Puffa Rice cereal. I saw the first one with one adult hula dancer, but there was another one with two hula dancers, an adult and a little girl, whom I have had a crush on all these years. Even today, I still can't get her out of my mind. Does anyone out there know where I can find that commercial with the lovely little girl?