Sunday, August 11, 2019

Classic TV: Hopalong Cassidy (1952)

William Boyd took a chance, putting everything on the line in making the investment of his career.

Boyd acquired the rights to the Western hero, Hopalong Cassidy, and made the decision to move from movies to television. Conflicting accounts differ as to when the TV series launched, whether it was 1949 or 1952. Edgar Buchanan co-starred in the TV series as Red Collins before moving on to Judge Roy Bean, Petticoat Junction, & Cade's County.

Here's a sample episode. The plot seems kinda familiar:



My only memory otherwise was back in the 70's, a local channel took a chance and aired reruns on a weeknight, once a week.

No rating.

4 comments:

Hal said...

I'm curious enough to research, but I believe the time slots for Hopalong Cassidy on TV prior to 1952 were for the feature films and that new TV episodes with Edgar Buchanan began production in 1952 (ending in 1954). I'll have to dig through some old newspapers to be sure. Regardless, I'd like to revisit it. I remember the 30 minute shows being rerun on weekend mornings here in Dallas in the mid 1970s.

hobbyfan said...

I think you've given me enough to edit the headline, Hal. Thanks.

BTW, what's the story with your latest Love That Bob entry? I tried to access it, and all I get is "Grandpa Goes West" from last Thursday.

Hal said...

That was accidental. I am working on a new one, doubling up on BOB (it should be ready within a day or two) but the wrong episode accidentally got published (meant to save it). Common blogger blunder that I've usually managed to avoid, but not this time. :) The next one is going to be Bob Meets Miss Sweden.

hobbyfan said...

Hmmmkay.