Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Musical Interlude: You're So Right For Me (1963)

I have read of the chemistry Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney shared on screen in the movies. Admittedly, the only one of Garland's films I can remember watching from start to finish as a youth was, of course, "The Wizard of Oz". I don't remember seeing any of the films she made with Rooney.

Just the same, Rooney was her first guest when she launched her self-titled variety show, troubled as that was, in 1963. It was actually the first show taped, but the 10th to be broadcast. Don't ask.

Anyway, from that episode comes this little number, "You're So Right For Me", which also appears on an album of duets.



I don't get the idea of Judy kicking her shoes off to dance. Still, the old magic was still there in this sequence. I can only imagine if the two of them actually did the entire series together. I'd think it'd be an upgrade from the buzzkill of having Jerry Van Dyke as the show's only regular aside from Garland. Just sayin'.

No comments: