Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Musical Interlude: You Were On My Mind (1965)

I was but a toddler when the San Francisco pop combo We Five emerged in 1965 with "You Were On My Mind", released on A & M Records. It was still garnering airplay on AM radio in the 70's as I was growing up, and one wonders what might've been had singer Beverly Bivens not left the group 2 years later to start a family.

Anyway, Rumandcocacola44 uploaded this clip from The Hollywood Palace, complete with introduction by host du jour Fred Astaire.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I always enjoyed that song - though I didn't know much about the band.

Didn't know about them being from SF, as they seemed to have a bit of that 60s Greenwich Village sound.

That song has been getting regular airplay on oldies stations as long as I can remember (I was lucky; in NY we had WCBS FM keeping old time Rock & Roll alive) and I still get it on local oldie stations where I live. It never gets old!

hobbyfan said...

Amen to that. I had a choice of either using the Hollywood Palace clip or one from Bob Hope's weekly variety show from the same period (and I thought he only did those specials for NBC, which came after the weekly was cancelled). Either way wouldn't really have mattered in the long run.