Monday, May 28, 2012

Musical Interlude: Take a Letter, Maria (1969)

R. B. Greaves had a huge one-off hit in 1969 with "Take a Letter, Maria". I remember hearing this song on the radio as a child, but at the time I never quite caught the artist's name if mentioned on the air. It took me a few years before I finally matched the artist to the song.

The following clip is taken from an episode of ABC's short-lived variety series, Music Scene. The last clip I pulled from that particular series featured Three Dog Night ("Eli's Coming"), but there are so few clips overall representing the series. Oh, well.......

2 comments:

magicdog said...

That's the first time I've ever had a face to place the song with!

Gary Puckett also did a version of the song. I have it on cassette somewhere.

hobbyfan said...

Greaves was a one-hit wonder, so it's not a surprise that there aren't that many clips of him other than of "Letter". Pity, as he could've been bigger.