Monday, August 31, 2015

Forgotten TV: Greatest Heroes of the Bible (1978)

From the same folks that brought you The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams comes the first modern-day series to adapt stories from the Bible. Unfortunately, NBC's Greatest Heroes of the Bible, due largely to poor promotion leading to even poorer ratings, was a colossal flop, and marked the end of Schick Sunn Classic Pictures' foray into television.

The mid-to-late 70's were awash with miniseries based on classic Biblical tales. CBS had Moses the Lawgiver, which was co-produced by an Italian network as memory serves. NBC answered with Jesus of Nazareth. If you're lucky, either TBN or Daystar or INSP will air these shows sometime.

The same goes for Greatest Heroes of the Bible. Seven episodes were ordered, but four aired, including an adaptation of Joshua and the battle of Jericho. Robert Culp (ex-I Spy) stars. Brad Crandall is the announcer, but Victor Jory is the narrator.



I'd love to have the DVD's for my personal collection. However, it's been so long since I'd seen any of these shows, I can't remember if I had seen them all. We'll pass on a rating for now.

No comments: