Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Remember the Tucker Inn? (1976)

 Back when Cool Whip topping was still a vital part of General Foods, their advertising agency came up with a series of ads set in a modest country inn in an unnamed city.

Marge Redmond (ex-The Flying Nun) was cast as innkeeper-hostess Sarah Tucker, and this series could and should have gone longer than it did. My late mother used to buy Cool Whip whenever we had strawberries so we could make strawberry shortcake (mostly for my dad).

Here, veteran character actor James Harder, who'd been in a bazillion ads, and later turned up in a John Mellencamp music video ("The Authority Song"), plays a hotel guest who is convinced to give the dessert a try.

1 comment:

Capital Cities Curmudgeon said...

As one of those commercials played, I told my wife that I read Tucker inn had been destroyed by a fire and would not be rebuilt. This meant she would not be seeing many more testimonials from "Sarah Tucker."

She believed me. A half hour later, I let her in on the joke. She called me a dirty name but she had a smile on her face.