Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The hourglass breaks: Days of Our Lives to leave NBC

 After 57 years, and a few cancellation scares, Days of Our Lives is shifting from NBC and broadcast television to online streaming. The series is set to move to Peacock as an online exclusive.


A pair of miniseries tied to the series have already aired on Peacock, and must've made enough of a positive impression on NBC-Universal-Comcast suits to convince them to move Days permanently to Peacock.

Days' departure from NBC leaves the broadcast networks with just 3 soaps left: ABC's General Hospital, the eldest of the group, as it predated Days by 2 years, and CBS' 1-2 punch of Young & The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful, which, it should be noted, share the same production company as Days, as both are also from Corday Productions & Sony.

What does it do for NBC affiliates? Locally, WNYT now has another hour to fill weekday afternoons. Days has been airing after the station's hour-long lunch hour newscast. We'll all find out together next month.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Meh. All this stuff has gone to streaming. I actually have Paramount+ to watch Star Trek and The Good Fight, but I don't

When I was working on the 1990 Census, I started watching Generations, then DOOL, then Another World. But I dumped DOOL c 1993 when some plot line got too stupid for me, even in a soap opera. Generations ended, and I watched AW to the end in '99.

hobbyfan said...

When I was in high school, my mom would have General Hospital on when I came home. I don't know if she was ever into Days of Our Lives. A lot of the writing for soaps these days is like comic books. It makes little sense sometimes, but the idea is to attract younger viewers.